RULES FOR COMMENTING:
You do not have to registered with Google, AltPress.com, or any of the affiliated to leave a comment. It's open and free. Be kind.

Friday, April 25, 2008

You got so much Loves Park in you.

Yesterday was a big show for me, as I'm a native of Rockford, Illinois -- essentially where the show was held (Loves Park is a "suburb" of Rockford, if you will). It sort of felt like the prodigal son returning, although there was no marching band or streamers. Maybe next time, Rockford.

The big plus of coming back home was getting to see my parents (and using their shower and washing machine). And my mom even baked cookies for my bus! (Matches, get stoked, I'm bringing them to Milwaukee as soon as I finish typing this blog.) I also got to partake in Rockford's No. 1 quick-food establishment, Beef-A-Roo. If you've never eaten at Beef-A-Roo before when in the greater Rockford area, you are officially blowing it. Best cheese fries and milkshakes I've ever had (and I'm a fat dude, so I know cheese fries and milkshakes).

The show last night was at the Forest Hills Lodge in Loves Park, right next to the Rockford Speedway. While there were no school bus races or winged women on wheels going on over there, our venue was still rockin' like there was no tomorrow. I was surprised at how good the PA sounded in general considering the room is essentially a reception hall for wedding and bar mitzvahs and the like.

The Matches played "What Katie Said" once again, but still in English -- this prompted someone to ask me, "How come they didn't play it in Spanish?" Behold the power of the AP Tour blog. Everyone reading this should message the Matches however possible and tell them to play "What Katie Said" in Spanish before the end of the tour. We can make my ridiculous fantasy a reality. Ariba!

The only downside to last night was a few bad apples, all of whom suspiciously looked like dudebros, who apparently were causing problems in the crowd. I saw at least five guys on separate occasions be pulled out of the crowd by security, then tackled to the ground and handcuffed by local police. It was a bummer, for sure, as this was the first time all tour for me that I had seen it happen, but from what other people were telling me, the dudebros in question had it coming. People, the AP Tour is a way to boogie on down and meet new friends, not to push and shove and grab crowd surfers in places they don't want to be grabbed. Save that behavior for a Limp Bizkit reunion tour, okay?

After the show, I got to talk with Bryce from the Rocket Summer a little bit, and we basically ended up talking about the musicial genius of Bob Nanna, Davey Von Bohlen and Blake Schwarzenbach. If you have never listened to any of those dudes' bands (most notably Braid, the Promise Ring and Jawbreaker), you are missing out on some serious quality jams, and I'm sure Mr. Avary would agree. Man, what I would give to see Bryce cover a Jets To Brazil song for an encore on this tour... Make it happen, AP Tour blog readers! Let's start a groundswell! Here's some more exclamation points!!!

Lastly, I should point out that last night was the first night anyone's given me buttons for my backpack (big ups to Monica and her friend for those!). Now it's your turn: I bought a brand new backpack for tour but have nothing to cover it in. Bring me your buttons so I can adorn the thing with a part of you. Do it! Now! Get to the choppa!

Okay, time to pack up my clean laundry and hitch a ride up to Milwaukee, where I'll reconvene with the tour and (maybe) share my mom's cookies with the Matches.

Maybe.

PS - Hi, Jen Le!

3 comments:

jenner1205 said...

yay for my shout out :) it was nice randomly seeing you @ steak & shake haha. see you tonight!

Anonymous said...

Go fish you funky monkey numb skull. =D

BUTTONS FTW!

Anonymous said...

what i wouldn't give to hear that jtb cover :)