RULES FOR COMMENTING:
You do not have to registered with Google, AltPress.com, or any of the affiliated to leave a comment. It's open and free. Be kind.

Sunday, May 4, 2008

THNKS FR TH BMBZL

My Bamboozle experience can be summed up in two sentences: I interviewed both Panic At The Disco and Bret Michaels in the span of less than an hour. I think my head is about to explode.

Look for my sunburned, bearded face on MySpace in the coming weeks; AP teamed up with Tom & Co. to film a series of somewhat unorthodox content over the past two days, ranging from impromptu acoustic sets inside a storage room for a dozen lucky fans to having a frontman from one band try to sneak himself onstage for a certain hip-hop superstar's set, and all sorts of craziness in between. We had an amazing film crew out with us who will be editing everything together over the next week or so, and we should have some pretty awesome footage for you to check out soon.

Running around conducting all these interviews left me little time to actually stop and watch bands, although I did catch the following:

SATURDAY
-A bunch of peeps went off hard for Vinnie from the Movielife's set with Set Your Goals as his backing band (including Jordan from SYG who was standing next to me sidestage, fingerpointing his heart out).
-MxPx got the crowd revved up with "Secret Weapon," "Responsibility" and many more -- these dudes still have it, for sure.
-I finally got to watch the Rocket Summer without having to collect subscription cards in the middle of it, and even though Bryce only had a half-hour, he made the most of it, playing "Do You Feel," "Stay," "Brat Pack" and the supremely awesome "So In This Hour." Plus, Danny, their guitar tech, let me fire off a confetti cannon during "So Much Love" -- yes!!
-Set Your Goals were fan-fucking tastic. Write a new album already, dudes, I need new songs to sing along to!
-I heard Less Than Jake's set from behind the stage, and it was pretty much all classics from their back catalog, including their 30-second gem "Anchor." They also shot off streamers which got stuck all over the stage. Rock 'n' roll!
-Paramore brought it hard, even in the wind and rain. Nothing stopped them, or the crowd from singing along verrrry loudly.
-As much as I love Jimmy Eat World, they're pretty boring to watch live, and their Bamboozle set was no different than usual. They did play "Crush," though -- points for that!
-Snoop Dogg is the fucking best ever. I didn't know what to expect from his set but wow, dude is one hell of a performer, and his band is really tight musically. I'd go see him again any time.

SUNDAY
-"What It Is To Burn" by Finch is stil a jam, nearly a decade later. Someone needs to make a Monster Screamo Hits compilation with that, "Ohio Is For Lovers," the one A Static Lullaby song people actually know, etc. -- I know I'd buy a copy!
-Scary Kids Scaring Kids drew a pretty sizable crowd to the mainstage for their early-afternoon slot, with plenty of mosh pit action breaking out.
-But their crowd was nowhere near the size of All Time Low's across the parking lot -- seriously, there must've been 15,000 people watching them (or so it felt like, at least). When Alex let the crowd sing the hook to "Six Feet Under The Stars," I actually got chills, turned to their manager and said, "Fuck." Hey dudes, don't forget me when you're playing arenas in six months!
-Circa Survive blew me away with an electric set featuring "The Difference Between Medicine And Poison Is In The Dose," "The Great Golden Baby," "Mandala" and more. Anthony Green did a sick stage dive during "In Fear And Faith," too. What a gnarly dude.
-Say Anything played a surprise set next but I instead went to go see how Forever The Sickest Kids would be received at their very first Bamboozle. Their second-stage crowd was ENORMOUS. Hey dudes, don't forget me when you're playing arenas in three months!
-As Tall As Lions ruled hard. They played two new songs along with "Love, Love, Love (Love, Love)," "Song For Luna" and "Into The Flood," plus two songs off their self-titled album, "Stab City" and "Maybe I'm Just Tired," with a three-piece horn section (tenor sax, trombone and trumpet). It was gorgeous.
-Who in the world are We The Kings and how did they get so popular?
-I was able to watch a few songs of the Starting Line's last-ever show, and it was a bit of a tearjerker. From what I heard, they were exclusively playing songs off Say It Like You Mean It, and the crowd was pumped.
-I closed my night out with a few songs by the Color Fred, including "Get Out" and "Complaintor" (which is about Taking Back Sunday -- whoops, cat's out of the bag!). Fred is seriously one of the nicest, most humble dudes ever; here's a guy who a year ago was playing the mainstage at Bamboozle with TBS and is now on one of the tinier side stages playing to a fraction of the crowd but still giving it his all. Mad respect.

Oh, pizza guy, where are you? All I want is to consume your goodness then pass out. If you're reading this, turn off your computer and bring me a large pepperoni and sausage!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

we the kings are awesome! popular: because they rocked bodies night after night when they opened for cobra starship on the really really ridiculously good looking tour.

Youth Conspiracy Records said...

Just to clarify, I'm not trying to hate on WTK at all, they just seemed to have come out of absolutely nowhere and I hadn't even heard a note of their music until today. I feel so out of the loop!

Anonymous said...

scott, you ARE the loop! at least now you can make it your responsiblity to help the rest of the world catch up too :)

capture this void said...

The AP Tour's over, and some of the guys never even wrote in this blog. Awe :(

Unknown said...

Are you saying that FTSK will play arenas before ATL?

Anonymous said...

i totally saw you on stage during the rocket summer! :]

Lesley said...

as much as i love this blog i must say i think i lost about 80% of my respect when you said jimmy eat world is boring live. i've seen them three times (once with TRS) and they put on one of the best live shows ever. set your goals and all time low will never compare.

Youth Conspiracy Records said...

I looooooove Jimmy Eat World, they're one of my all-time favorite bands. But in terms of stage presence, it's just four thirtysomethings with guitars standing there. Granted, they're standing there playing (usually) really fucking good songs, but they're still standing there. And their set was waaaaaaaaay too Chase This Light-heavy at Bamboozle for me to be into it.

Anonymous said...

That's so awesome you got to shoot of a canon of confetti!!

Anonymous said...

we the kingssssss. i'm asking myself the same question about them. they're freakin' going to be on trl today. crazy! six months ago on tourzilla no one knew who the hell they were!

Anonymous said...

wow, sounds like it had soooo much fun than the one i had in Australia called Soundwave.