RULES FOR COMMENTING:
You do not have to registered with Google, AltPress.com, or any of the affiliated to leave a comment. It's open and free. Be kind.

Friday, April 11, 2008

Philly cheeeeeeeesesteak!

So. Philly. I'd never been to the City Of Brotherly Love before, and I have to say that what I saw of it was quite rad. South Street, where the TLA/Fillmore is located, is really cool. For those of you who haven't been, it's really artsy and colorful and vibrant. It's one of the coolest venues I've been in, too, with lots of chandeliers and old show posters adorning the walls (I was very close to stealing the one from the Wilco/Sonic Youth bill, but it was tacked up on the wall pretty tight...)

After our weird load-in (drop off everything, because the bus and trailer had to go away from the venue to park) we set up for another night. Then Erica from Keep A Breast, Bryce's wife Tara, Seth and Matt from the Rocket Summer's band and I all managed to sneak away just long enough to have a famous Philly cheesesteak at Gianna's, down the street a few blocks from the venue. I was torn because I heard there was a really good falafel place down the street, too, but I think when you're in Philly for the first time, you have to have a cheesesteak. It's some kind of law. The sandwich was pretty much amazing--I can see why the city would be proud to be known for them.

After getting back to the venue and finishing setting up, AP scribe Emily Zemler popped in to say hello (always nice to see our contributors out and about in the real world, instead of just on e-mail). I also had many friendly visitors at the table throughout the night, including one of the guys from this year's #2 band in our Hometown Heroes special (Paramore issue, for those of you who want to look that up) and a father/daughter team who always bring candy and goodies to bands when they come to town. Also, I got to meet Jeana--an uber Rocket Summer fan who was seeing her 100th Rocket Summer Show. 100. That's kind of incredible, and Bryce gave her a shout-out during the show, so I knew I needed to get her pic. You can see her pic when I get back to Cleveland and can upload my photos onto my PC, since my digital camera's not compatible with the Mac I've got out on the road (darn you camera, anyway).

The bands sounded amazing last night, per the usual. FTSK continue to amaze me with the response they get--they are hot, hot, hot right now. Their new video debuted yesterday, so you should check it out. Sonny was in good spirits and crowd surfed around during his last song, inspiring mini riots along the way. The Matches were in fine form once again, and the Rocket Summer sounded great even though Bryce missed yesterday's soundcheck because of our crazy load-in and the buses being parked far, far away. And last but not least, ATL inspired nudity by promising to trade a naked Jack for 100 shirts thrown on the stage. Thankfully for all parties involved, he only made it down to his boxers.

Today we're in NYC... I'm excited because this was the first show that sold out on the tour, and I know the crowd is going to be insane. I also think I get to take a shower at a real apartment, rather than a dressing room, which I'm pumped about. Unfortunately, while our bus is going to remain at the venue, it's not going to have power all day. It's a kind of a bummer not having a bus refuge, but hey, I could be traveling in a van, so I'm gonna go ahead and not complain about it...

Oh, and here's a little teaser about tonight's show: If you love the Matches and Zack from All Time Low (and who doesn't?), pay close attention during the Matches and All Time Low's respective last songs this evening. You might spot something out of the ordinary...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A Pilly sounds REALLY Good right now - I can almost taste it! Only down to his boxers - TOO BAD!! Wish I could make one of these awesome Shows - Thanks for bringing them to us through your updates!

Anonymous said...

I see from an earlier post you like crackers - any chance I could bring some in exchange for a ticket to one of your SOLD OUT Shows?

Anonymous said...

You went to Philly... and had a cheesesteak at Gianna's, and NOT at the place that was right across the sidestreet from the TLA, Jim's, which is one of "THE" famous steak places in Philly? You're going to have to come back and do it again, the right way. ;)